Health, Safety & Environment
- Is Health & Safety a really an important topic?
- Can I pursue health & Safety as a promising career?
- Does it require a big investment to correct health & safety in our workplace?
- What are the legal requirements need to fulfill?
- Is it a moral duty or plain legal duty to manage health & safety?
These are common questions when we talk to our certification clients or when a student looking for HSE training approaches us. Being a leading training provider & in certification/inspection business since last one decade, DAS takes it as a moral responsibility to guide its clients & learning professionals in appropriate & correct professional way. On this page we will try to explain why it is important for businesses/organization to incorporate health and safety training/matter as inbuilt part of their processes/operations.
Why safety matters
Although all humans have a basic instinct to be conscious about their health & safety, and there is lot of debate in papers and on web about reasons to manage health & safety but in contest of our local environment, here we are referring reported figures from Ministry of Overseas Pakistan & Human Resource development publication, which shows that how serious this matter is & there is no second option other than to manage health & safety with conviction in workplace.
OSH: Legal Framework & Statistical Trend Analysis (2010-2016) OPHRD Ministry
These statistics confirms that to ensure safe and healthy work environment has to be a primary concern for everyone at work and this demands real combination of knowledge, experience and qualification, not just commitment and good intentions.
Who Can Manage Safety
It’s a big challenge for organizations to introduce a health & Safety culture and then establish an effective Health & Safety management system to maintain that culture. Being an owner, CEO, director, company manager, it is vital that everyone personally needs to be competent enough to lead the Occupational Health & Safety management of the organization.
But on the other hand it is also fact that competence & commitment of top bosses & management is not enough to maintain HSE or to prevent accidents. Most accidents leads to root cause as behavioral negligence or poor attitude of workers, so it’s all levels of organizations, where you might need to introduce some sort of structure, regular & refresher training regimes . Because it is a well-known fact that “Safety is everyone’s responsibility”
Training needs analysis
So from above discussed points, we may conclude that to make sure that you utilize your assets (Financial, man-hours, which could be very limited) adequately, you will need to assess & analyze your requirement for health and safety training. Consider the roles of different levels & function s for your organization before choosing a type/mode of training for each level. Following list might of different levels might be helpful in this regard.
- Top Management including senior managers (Like CEO, MD, Directors, Operations)
- Health & Safety key staff (Advisors)
- Second Line Management or Middle manager
- Departmental Heads/ Line Managers
- All important functions (Like Finance, Admin, HR, Support (Transport/Security), IT And obviously Health & safety Staff )
- Different worker groups (e.g. maintenance staff, drivers, admin staff etc.)
- Internee/Trainees/New Induction
- Union/Committee/Safety representatives
How DAS Institute of Professional Studies & Knowledge Can Help You
Here at “DISK” we can help you at develop a structured approach for both perspectives as an individual or as an organization as below:-
- As an individual, we have a phased approach which can help professionals to build there OHS Career.
- For Organizations, we can help to build their internal team for structured approach towards establishing, implementing & maintaining an effective health & safety management system
We have a multiple Occupational Health & safety qualifications available in our accredited portfolio as listed below, which can help individual/organization as mentioned above in light of their training need assessment.
- NEBOSH International General Certificate
- BS OHSAS 18001:2007 Lead Auditor Course (IRCA UK Accredited)
- OHSAS 18001:2007 Foundation
- OHSAS 18001:2007 Internal Auditor
- ISO 14001:2015 Lead Environmental Auditor Course (IRCA UK Accredited)
- ISO 14001:2015 Internal Auditor
- Implementing & Maintaining an Environmental Management System
- ISO 14001:2015 Organizational Transition
- ISO 14001:2015 Auditor Transition
- ISO 14001 / 9001:2015 Combined Auditor Transition
- IOSH managing Safely (IOSH UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 2 in Health and Safety in the Workplace (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 3 in Health and Safety in the Workplace (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 4 in Health and Safety in the Workplace (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 1 in Fire Safety in (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 2 in Fire Safety in (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 2 in Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 1 in Safe Moving and Handling (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 2 in Safe Moving and Handling (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 2 in Risk Assessment (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 3 in Risk Assessment (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 1 Award in Substance Misuse Awareness (HABC UK Accredited)
- HABC Level 2 Award in Substance Misuse Awareness (HABC UK Accredited)
- Defensive Driving Course
- Train the Trainer (Health & Safety)
Definitely an organization/individual don’t need to take all these training but they need most appropriate for them. We are here to provide you professional, relevant & appropriate advice in this regard. Please drop an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.